[NPOC-EC] Fwd: Membership

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Thu Oct 20 17:35:12 UTC 2022

Dear All,

It is one thing to ensure that democracy prevails, but does the debate have
to be in every email.  If there is a question, can it be responded, without
personal insults or takedown.

This is not a good situation.  As most of you know, I like questions and
processes that benefit the community, however, I dislike lack of respect,
unprofessionalism and bringing everyone into personal battles.

A straight answer on the criteria for membership would have suffice here.

This is a very negative thing for NPOC.
Thanks,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 12:59 PM Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele via NPOC-EC <
npoc-ec at icann.org> wrote:

> Hi Raoul,
>
> This is my last intervention on this matter.
>
> "No offense, but please do as you wish if clear logic fails to clarify a
> grey area to you that they have an affiliation to *Government and
> Government Security apparatus(Home Land Security)* which does not match
> our membership profile checklist of a *Not-For-Profit- Organisation.*"
>
> I have a lot to do with my time and I cannot be bullied to go against the
> charter in good conscience.
>
> Thank you
>
> Caleb Ogundele
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:49 AM Raoul Plommer <plommer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Caleb. Please read the copy paste you just sent me. Where does it
>> conflict with the organisation in question?
>>
>> -Raoul
>>
>> On Thu, 20 Oct 2022, 19:44 Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele, <
>> muyiwacaleb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> @Raoul Plommer <plommer at gmail.com>  can you be less aggressive in the
>>> failed logic you are applying?
>>>
>>> First, I quote you *" Hello Caleb, could you tell them they need to
>>> apply for the membership and where to do it?"*
>>>
>>> I ran NPOC's  standard checklist for membership and they don't match:
>>>
>>> *Checklist:*
>>>
>>> *1. The Organization is incorporated as a noncommercial entity (in
>>> countries that have such a provision in their commercial code) or, if
>>> unincorporated, or if operating in a country without provisions for
>>> noncommercial incorporation, that operates on a not‑for‑profit basis
>>> primarily for noncommercial purposes, and*
>>>
>>> *2. Be the exclusive user of at least one domain name.*
>>>
>>> *3. Is engaged in online activities that are primarily noncommercial,
>>> including, e.g., advocacy, educational, religious, human rights,
>>> charitable, scientific and artistic, and*
>>>
>>> *4. In the case of a membership-based organization, the organization
>>> should not only be noncommercial itself, but should have a primarily
>>> noncommercial focus, and the membership should also be primarily composed
>>> of noncommercial members.  (E.g., a chamber of commerce, though it may be a
>>> noncommercial organization itself, and might even have some noncommercial
>>> members, is primarily composed of commercial organizations and has a
>>> commercial focus and would not be eligible for membership.)*
>>>

>>>    - I saw Bolu's reply and thought I should help him shed more light
>>>    or provide additional information on his response which we did not see but
>>>    I trust his good judgment.
>>>    - Secondly, responding to them with a checklist which I have done
>>>    before your email was even sent to me.
>>>    - My question is why would I want to enable government security
>>>    agencies which go against the charter? (There was a typo in my initial
>>>    email as I told you below that they were security agency and not democratic
>>>    politicians. I was supposed to delete that part as i was typing from my
>>>    phone)
>>>    -  I believe we are not in a dictatorship but a multistakeholder
> [...]

Joan Kerr, Entrepreneur, Mixed Media Artist, Community Leader

www.joankerr.ca, www.fbsc.org

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

1-416-907-0783