[Public-Experts] [Public-experts] Test

Janis Karklins janis.karklins at mfa.gov.lv
Tue Aug 26 06:30:58 UTC 2014

Brian,

Thinking about the questions you posted, Brian, my view  is that the profile of Advisors and selection criteria are determined by the tasks assigned to them:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/process-next-steps-2014-08-14-en

The advisors, selected by the Public Experts Group, will bring an external, independent voice to this process to assure that best practices are brought in from outside of the ICANN community.  While there is a level of research and work that the advisors will do on their own, the integration of the advisors with the rest of the Coordination Group is key to considering how the research they perform can be best implemented to solve for the issues identified.  The advisors can also help bring inputs in from their own networks as necessary.  Utilized correctly, the advisor inputs will not only assist in developing enhanced accountability practices for ICANN, but provide a model that other multistakeholder organizations will strive to meet.
The areas identified for expertise include:
•Internet Technical Operations
•International Organizational Reviews
•Global Accountability Tools and Metrics
•Jurisprudence / Accountability Mechanisms
•Internet Consumer Protection (including privacy, human rights and property rights concerns)
•Economics (Marketplace and Competition)
•Global Ethics Frameworks
•Operational, Finance and Process
•Board Governance
•Transparency
•Risk Management
•Governmental Engagement and Relations
•Multistakeholder Governance

We will certainly not find an individual who would have expertise in all identified areas, but we should look for those matching several fields of expertise required. After compiling a "long short-list" our task will be not only ensure the best mix of skills we can get out of up to 7 candidates but also look after all " right balances"  (geography, gender, constituencies etc).

As per timetable - I am not so optimistic about 45 days. If we want Advisors be present in LA it would be just polite to give them 30 day advanced notice (day job responsibilities, travel arrangements, US visas, etc). That would leave us about 3 weeks to complete the selection.

Details about remuneration should be provided by ICANN leadership.

Best regards

JK