[registrars] Deletes task force

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Dec 2 04:00:13 UTC 2003

On 12/1/2003 10:36 PM Tim Ruiz noted that:

> if the registries would just agree
> to charge at the end of the grace period, keeping auto-renew in place,
> wouldn't we still have the best of both worlds?

I think we would. At this point I propose the following;

This doesn't strike me as being an ICANN or constituency issue. As such,
we should probably move the discussion elsewhere. I am in the process of
drafting a letter to the registries that outlines our concerns and will
solicit additional registrar signatories throughout this week. This
letter will include an invitation to the registry operators that engage
in this practice to participate in a teleconference at a to be announced
time.

I think it is in our best interests to look at this as a
customer/supplier issue and also be keenly cautious of the legal issues
that may surround an action of this nature. I am specifically not
suggesting that we form any sort of collective bargaining group or
attempt to coerce the registries through some sort of organized boycott
into adopting our viewpoint. I am simply proposing that we gather in the
  same room, allow them to hear our mutual concerns and specifically
request that they return to us with a proposal that will provide my
company, and presumably others, with more comfortable operating
arrangements.

This is just off the top of my head and I'd be happy to modify the
concept with input from others. I will forward a draft later tomorrow
for review.

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one
indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)