[registrars] Report from whois TF 1 Restricting Access

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Tue Dec 2 17:19:43 UTC 2003

The Whois TF 1 had its first call at 5am PST this morning.
Attendees were everyone listed here:
 http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/taskforce-reps.shtml
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/taskforce-reps.shtml>  (the
"task force 1" row of the matrix)
except Tony Harris, Wendy Seltzer and John Wolf (I believe).
Other people on the call were Marilyn Cade (Business constituency alternate
member of TF1 I believe)
and Barbra Roseman and Glen de Saint Gery from ICANN (see
http://www.icann.org/general/abouticann.htm
<http://www.icann.org/general/abouticann.htm> )

The following was discussed on the call:
Discussion of who can be chair:  Did the person have to be a member of the
TF? (answer was no).
Bruce was nominated but had not accepted at the time of call.
Discussion of the work we are to do (see
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/tor.shtml
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/tor.shtml> )
Discussion of the duties of the chair.
Discussion of ICANN staff contribution to the TF and the chair.
Nominations for chair: Jeff Newman was the only nomination that
accepted and was subsequently elected
(myself and David Maher were the only other names mentioned, both declined)
.
Discussion of the meetings schedule:  Next call was set for Tuesday Dec 16th
at 8am PST.
Discussion about TF membership:
It seems that each constituency can have 2 members (a "primary" and a
"alternate") to each TF.
Each can participate on the email list but only the primary can vote and
talk during the conference calls.
Do we want/need to add formal "alternates", or just do ad-hoc if the need
arises?
The mail lists are public and at
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow1tf/
The call lasted about 40 minutes.