[registrars] FYI - Staff Manager's report on New Registry

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Tue Nov 4 19:41:13 UTC 2003

Ross,

Thanks for taking the initiative on this.

The process should of course be open and transparent.

While technical and stability issues are important, other factors should not
be ignored. Those factors depend to a large degree on the answer to Bruce's
question about the nature of registry agreements with ICANN. But either way,
there should be some consensus gathering on issues pertaining to a
particular service.

The proposed services must be reviewed prior to its introduction. Trying to
remove or discontinue a service after it has been in operation will raise a
whole new set of problems and legal issues.

Consideration should be given to similar innovation already in the market
place. It is not appropriate that a registry be allowed to use its
"monopoly" of a TLD to capture a market innovated by others.

It is reasonable to expect that the process may be applied differently to
sTLDs. The key is that there is some involvement/consensus from the
community affected.

Finally, any service that was in question, under review, OR that has not
already been in production as of the date of Paul's letter to Bruce calling
for this PDP must go through the new process. It must not be grandfathered
in. That date is October 20, 2003.

Tim