[registrars] Third Draft Standard form of authorisation for use by losing registrars after a transfer is initiated

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Oct 9 09:32:25 UTC 2003

Hello Tom,

> In reviewing the text, in one email the name of the reseller
> is allowed instead of the registrar and in the other it is
> not.  It is not clear to me who is authorized to send out
> these emails.
>
> Allowing resellers to send emails, either as the losing or
> gaining registrar, causes confusion and opens the door to
> fraudulent transfers.  I know of no way of confirming the
> identity of a reseller.
>
> It also lowers consumer confidence and trust in the process,
> a critical element of this process.

The intent was that some registrars may choose to include the name of
their reseller when the registrar sends an email.

Under the transfers policy it is the registrar that is responsible for
the confirmation messages.
A registrar may choose to outsource this obligation to another party
(e.g a reseller) with I assume a iron clad contract to protect the
registrar, but the registrar is still responsible.

Regards,
Bruce