[registrars] WDRP Compliance Date and Presentation Method

Christopher Kruk kruk at domainpeople.com
Tue Oct 14 18:37:18 UTC 2003

Dear Registrars

As we all know, the Whois Data Reminder Policy (WDRP) was adopted by ICANN
as a consensus policy on 27 March 2003. All ICANN-accredited registrars must
comply with the WDRP with respect to registrations they sponsor in all
top-level
domains for which they are accredited. Details of compliance requirements are
provided at:

http://www.icann.org/registrars/wdrp.htm

As the compliance date is drawing near (Oct. 31, 2003), I've submitted to ICANN
DomainPeople's intended method of presentation consisting of an email
containing:

1. A link to the data elements listed in RAA subsection 3.3.1 for each
domain registered with the recipient.
2. A statement reminding the registrant that false Whois information can be
grounds for cancellation of a domain registration
3. A link to the registration agreement
4. The version number of the notification

ICANN has indicated that they may have concerns about whether our proposed
approach meets the requirements. We believe using a combination of email and
web interface to present the reminder is an appropriate means of getting the
message across to registrants.

ICANN's Model WDRP Notice seems to indicate an individual email message for
each domain name. Any registrar supporting bulk registrations can see the
potential
problems with this method as bulk registrants would be flooded with reminders.

Can anyone, particularly someone from the Whois task force, see any problem
with
my proposed method of notification for the WDRP meeting ICANN's requirements?

Thanks & regards,
Chris Kruk
Business Area Manager
DomainPeople, Inc. <http://www.domainpeople.com>