[registrars] RE: RGP Implementation - .ORG

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Wed Oct 15 01:38:52 UTC 2003

Registrars, Bruce asked me to post his message to the list, see below.

Bruce, thanks for your reply and for your consideration of my request.

I just have a few comments to your reply
1) It seems to me that if the goal was setting up the accounting
"in an easy to understand fashion for our customers" then the best thing
would have been to keep it the same as before since that method
was/is well understood by your customers (the registrars).

2) I'm a little surprised that your answer to my first question wasn't
simply
"Yes, PIR decided to go that way because that was the way Afilias had their
software already setup for .info and it would have cost PIR money to have
Afilias change it"
Thanks for clearing up that that was not the reason, though at least I would
have understood if it was.

3) You say that you replicated the RRP including the timing of
the financial transactions, as best you could.
Its was common knowledge what happens when a delete is made during the grace
period
for .org names when .org was at Verisign, and
since, in your answer to my first question, you say
"yes, PIR made that decision" then you obvioulsy knew enough to decide one
way or the other, then I can only assume that you did replicate that RRP
behavior too.
(Anyone still using RRP for .org can tell us for sure, and I know there
still are some)
So this means that if RRP is used, the credit is applied in real-time
(as that was the timing of the transactions at Verisign), and if
EPP is used, the credit is delayed 30 days.
In that case, some registrars are getting a credit
(those that use RRP) and some are not (those that have switched to EPP).
And this has gone on for many months.
Since Afilias and PIR are so persnickety about registrar fairness,
and especially persnickety when it comes to registrar's credit balance,
again, I'm surprised.

3) FYI I've confirmed with the .com, .net, .biz and .us registries that
they all either credit the registrar's account in real-time or at midnight
of the day of the transaction and in neither case wait 30 days.

I look forward to PIR (and Afilias) matching their competition on this
feature.

I would like to talk to you in Carthage, but unfortunately I will not be
attending.
Perhaps by phone, before or after?

Paul