[registrars] WHOIS Area 3 terms of reference (accuracy)

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Oct 24 02:02:14 UTC 2003

Hello Tom,

> Another area of Whois accuracy that no seems to address:
>
> Is the Whois data "accurate" if it lists an agent of the registrant?
>
> We all know that lawyers feel entirely justified in listing
> themselves instead of their client as the registrant.  If
> this is considered an "accurate" Whois record, then can we
> assume that other authorized agents of the registrant may
> serve this role as well?
>
> In particular, is Whois data accurate if it reflects the
> registrar, who has agreed to serve as an agent of the registrant?

Actually I think there are two separate issues.

(1) Can an agent be listed instead of a registrant?
- the answer is partly yes - although the agent then has liability for
the name
- part of the task force 2 tasks is looking at whether the mechanisms
for anonymous registrationon are sufficient

(2) Is the information about the agent accurate?
- this is the same problem as whether the information about the
registrant is accurate
And is the subject of task force 3 on accuracy

Regards,
Bruce