[registrars] Lawmakers Domain name oversight too lax CNET News.com

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Sep 5 15:19:41 UTC 2003

On 9/5/2003 11:07 AM Rick Wesson noted that:

> The name and address are verified

<snip>

 > POTS lines are physicly delivered to a physical address.

<snip>

 > Names are easier to lie about than addresses with POTS systems.

<snip>

> My last point is that there are zero IPR issues with name/number mappings
> in the PSTN.

I'm not talking about the PSTN, POTS, cell or how easy it is for new
subscribers to lie. I am talking about the compilation of phone numbers
in a phone book. These compilations are, by virtue of the publication's
media, out of date the minute that they are published.

Second, I'm not talking about IPR issues with name/number mappings in
the DNS or the PSTN, I'm talking about the domain name Whois
"infrastructure" which IPR interests and other stakeholders use as a
directory service in almost precisely the same manner that they use
phone books.

My point is that very little (if anything) in this world can be
certified as being "real-time accurate" and that its unrealistic to
expect this of the domain name Whois.

--

                        -rwr