[registrars] Lawmakers Domain name oversight too lax CNET News.com

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Sun Sep 7 16:00:30 UTC 2003

On 9/6/2003 12:16 PM Joyce Lin noted that:

> By nature of their business,  telcos have their customers'  phone lines and
> their information automatically and physically matched. We are at the
> registrants' mercy to provide the information.

This is not my point Joyce. My point is that if a customer moves before
the next phone book is published, the data in thact phonebook is
factualy incorrect until the next one is published. Whois is very
similar in this respect.

I do not think that it is reasonable to expect any compilation of data
to be 100% accurate and precise 100% of the time. In fact, I believe
that the measures currently being implemented may be enough to
appropriately address the problem. We should take some time to measure
the effectiveness of these programs before we trot down the road of
creating more new policy.

                       -rwr

"Around computers it is difficult to find the correct unit of time to
measure progress. Some cathedrals took a century to complete. Can you
imagine the grandeur and scope of a program that would take as long?"

		- Unknown

Got Blog?