[registrars] Ross's Motion - Suggeseted Amendment

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Thu Sep 18 17:16:47 UTC 2003

Ross,

I have some concerns about your motion.

Basically, I believe it to be too technical and restrictive.  As you often
say, I believe we should be speaking first to the process and policy that we
want, and then implementing the details.  I think your motion does the
latter, not the former.

Don't get me wrong, I am against what Verisign has done, but even more so, I
am concerned about the methods they used to do it.  It appears that ICANN
staff OK's this another TLD, and Verisign took their all too familiar stance
of "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission".  Given the recent
actions of Verisign in this case, in the WLS implementation, and the recent
action against them by the FTC, I believe it is time ICANN start taking a
hard look at their methods.

I would support a motion that spoke to the fact that the process within
ICANN was not followed, and it should be.  Before we outlaw wild card
entries on ALL TLD's, we probably should put them through the GNSO process
within ICANN.  There may be instances where they are beneficial for some
TLD's(although I suspect not in the com zone).

Would you consider an amendment to your motion that refers the matter to the
GNSO for immediate study, and suspends the recent Verisign implementation
until the study is completed ?

Rob.