[registrars] Ross's Motion - Suggeseted Amendment

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Thu Sep 18 20:21:28 UTC 2003

tbarrett wrote:

> I would echo Rob's comments.
>
> The broken policy process is the larger issue here.
>
> I believe that, if introduced correctly, wildcards in a tld can deliver a
> better user experience than what occurs today.  Frankly, there is no reason
> why an ISP/Browser vendor such as AOL or MSN deserves this traffic anymore
> than Verisign does.

It's their customer that is paying them
monthly fees.

AOL/MSN can say contractually "if you connect
though us you agree to have a search page instead
of an error when you make a typo. If you don't like that,
get your access elsewhere". (Remember free internet
access companies that added popup ads or whatever.)

Customers have a choice of who to connect through.
The money that AOL/MSN  earns through the search function
could conceivably be used to lower access charges.
(Of course Verisign could use this money to lower the $6 charge.)

Larry