[registrars] FW: 2004 Nominating Committee - Need to Nominate a Delegate from the Registrar Constituency

Elana Broitman ebroitman at register.com
Thu Apr 22 15:58:18 UTC 2004

Dear Registrars - please note that the constituency has been asked to submit a delegate to the Nominating Committee by May 11th.

DELEGATE SHALL BE (ICANN Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4):

  1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience and competence with collegial large group decision-making;

  2. Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet community, and a commitment to the success of ICANN;

  3. Persons whom the selecting body is confident will consult widely and accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;

  4. Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal commitments to particular individuals, organizations, or commercial objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;

  5. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential impact of ICANN's activities on the broader Internet community who are willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the reimbursement of certain expenses; and

  6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken English."

DELEGATES CANNOT SERVE ON THE ICANN BOARD OR GNSO COUNCIL OR BE MEMBERS OF THE STAFF:

>From Article VII, Section 8:

"No person who serves on the Nominating Committee in any capacity shall be eligible for selection by any means to any position on the Board or any other ICANN body having one or more membership positions that the Nominating Committee is responsible for filling, until the conclusion of an ICANN annual meeting that coincides with, or is after, the conclusion of that person's service on the Nominating Committee"

>From Article VII, Section 9:

"No person who is an employee or paid consultant to ICANN (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously serve in any of the Nominating Committee positions described in Section 2 of the Article." (See below.)

SELECTION PROCESS:  We have an abbreviated schedule for selection due to the May 11 deadline, so the process will be as follows:

	Nomination Period April 22 - May 2
		I would urge that in keeping with criteria 4, nominations should be for individuals not directly working, consulting for, or otherwise associated with any accredited registar.  I would also urge that we look for individuals who would keep in mind registrars' key interests as they seek Board candidates, namely:  financial responsibility for ICANN, privacy, compliance, transfers, and general protection of registars' interest vis-a-vis other constituencies.

	Time for publishing Ballot - May 2 - May 3

	Voting through Boardrooms May 4 - May 11

Elana Broitman
Register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018