[registrars] gTLD Registry Maintenance Notices

James M Woods jwoods at tucows.com
Mon Apr 26 03:19:31 UTC 2004

Jean-Michel, Donny,

Getting all registries to "setup a new command in EPP" is not a trivial
matter (and what about RRP and Email etc.), nor does it solve the problem of
better communication to registrars, which is what Tim was trying to drive
at. Namely those of us who front line manage that part of the business which
is constantly flooded of repetitious and non standard messages. I know I've
missed a few important notices in the past.

Second, don't knock RSS as just a blogging tool, Ross's proposal is very
elegant if you look past the blogging stigma. RSS allows registries to post
to a RSS enabled maintenance site so that anyone who needs to know about a
maintenance window can either check the registry maintenance site or
subscribe to the RSS feed itself, which subsequently gets neatly organized
in its own folder (see no CFO/CEO involvement whatsoever ;) along with any
updates to that particular maintenance thread.

Maybe XML hasn't saved the world, but RSS is based on XML so maybe it can
solve this weary souls registry communication issues. Maybe Ross could setup
a demo so that all parties can see what benefits this may or may not bring
us all?

Cheers,

James

James M Woods