[registrars] Re: Is there a lawsuit in YOUR future?

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Sun Feb 29 02:42:18 UTC 2004

Hi Tom,

> Check out the thread on icannwatch.org:
> Remember the .biz lottery case? A bunch of Registrars got sued for
> participating in the lottery. They all had to hire legal counsel to protect
> themselves.

I worked for NeuStar at that time. Jeff assured me we had nothing to fear,
it wasn't my area of expertise anyway.

Anyhow, this is moot for USA. We'll offer WLS when the Catholic-Protestant
schism is reconcilled, or when an Ash becomes a monocot (stolen from BobC).
WLS is not a "registry service", it is poaching.

As an ex-registry staffer, I have opinions on where the line is, and how
it can be gamed. YMMV.

Eric