[registrars] Resellers a burden upon ICANN

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Wed Jun 9 09:16:40 UTC 2004

Siegfried,

I agree to all your points especially on the details part. Take Schlund
as an example for the moment. We have had maybe 5 to 10 occasions over
the last 4 years where ICANN had to contact us and even less requests
towards ICANN from us. We are very willing to pay a fair fee for this
but I think that almost $200000 a year are very excessive for such a service.
I would guess that the truely operational costs are not very high in
total and that most of the money is spend on the policy making site.
In regard to this we all get the same out of it because we all have the
same contracts no matter of small or large. At the end a funding model
has to be found which reflects this and not a modell were someone
is punished for doing a good job.

tom

Am 09.06.2004 schrieb Siegfried Langenbach:
> [...]
> > receive the same service? In theory I do not really see why someone with a
> > successful (or different) business model should be punished by having
> > to pay more for the same service than anyone else. The way almost every tax
> > system is build to take up this analogy again is that the ones with more
> > contribute more to the public good than the others but it is always
> > predictable and there is always a cap. The system I would like to see
> > only relies on caped fixed fees which might even be calculated by the
> > amount of registrations held but has no additional variable or
> > transaction fees. Such a system could look like a ordinary tax table:
> >
> > These figures are just examples. I randomly picked numbers .-)
> >
> > 0       -    10000 $10000 (Basic fee to be able to play the game)
> > 10000   -    50000 $15000
> > 50000   -   100000 $20000
> > 100000  -   500000 $50000
> > 500000  -  1000000 $80000
> > 1000000 -  2000000 $100000
> > 2000000 -  3000000 $1200000
> > 3000000 -  4000000 $1400000
> >
> > In the case the money collected in such a way should not sum up to the
> > amount demanded by ICANN I would suggest that ICANN is looking for
> > alternative sources of funding .-)
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > tom
> >
> > Am 08.06.2004 schrieb Robert F. Connelly:
> > > Dear Registrars:
> > >
> > > In attempting to justify the large fixed fee for *all* registrars, Paul
> > > Twomey stated that much of the large load handled by ICANN staff is created
> > > by irate registrants;  and he implied that smaller registrars cause a
> > > disproportionate number of grievances*.
> > >
> > > It appeared to me from the continuing discussion that many of these
> > > complaints result from the burgeoning number of resellers.
> > >
> > > The discussion turned to whether resellers give registrants adequate notice
> > > of who their registrar actually is.  It *is* a contractual requirement upon
> > > registrars -- but do resellers give sufficient notice?
> > >
> > > I can tell you that we have many cases of frustrated attempts to transfer
> > > from a registrar which uses resellers.  We have hard copies of
> > > authorizations from registrants, including registered corporate seals,
> > > before we ever queue a transfer request.  Often, the registrar of record
> > > tells us we must clear that transfer through their reseller:-(
> > >
> > > Perhaps we should load our complaints upon ICANN;-}
> > >
> > > Regards, BobC, for PSI-Japan, Inc.
> > >
> > > * Footnote:  I advised Paul that I would classify his statement as
> > > anecdotal unless he could quantify it.  It would be interesting to see
> > > whose "names are on the blotter";-}
> > >
> > > Just as long as the quantification does not become a new line item in the
> > > budget;-{
> > >

> > Gruss,
> >
> > tom
> >
> > (__)
> > (OO)_____
> > (oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
> >   | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w