[registrars] FW: [dow1tf] TR: IPC constituency statement for Whois TF1

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Mon Mar 29 23:21:41 UTC 2004

On 3/29/2004 1:54 PM Paul Stahura noted that:

> Fellow registrars, please find attached the IPC constituency statement.
> I will be writing a very rough draft of a statement from us for TF1 and
> submitting it to the list shortly.

Paul - a general question about TF1.

Why is the TF focused on specific technical solutions instead of
desired policy outcomes? No good can come from a technical solution
specified by a policy committee.

Personally, I have a very big problem with the direction of this TF
and am very concerned that it has gone a long way down the wrong path.

I strongly recommend that our submission takes a strong position on
this point. Promoting diversity and competition are key components of
ICANN's mission. Developing and promoting technical implementations
are not.

If TF1 is developing requirements that are going to be fed into a
technical implementation, then that is very much a different thing -
and if it is, we should recognize it as being different and move
forward on *those* terms.

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
						- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org