[registrars] Some thoughts on the ICANN budget

Elana Broitman ebroitman at register.com
Thu May 13 13:19:38 UTC 2004

I agree with Tim that we need to support a strong ICANN.  To that end, we need to make sure that ICANN is being hard nosed about its own costs - like any of our businesses have to be, and appropriately allocating the budget according to cost centers.  For example, where a certain constituency gets the primary benefit, its contribution to ICANN should provide a relatively equivalent value to the cost.  Likewise, where compliance oversight drives ICANN costs, it is appropriate to structure some of the fees that way.  Perhaps, ICANN should consider fines for violations that are not serious enough to cause de-accreditation.

The benefit to a transaction model with a cap is that it gives us predictability and makes it easier to pass on the fee for registrars who choose to do so.

The question will be how the transition from a per domain to a per transaction model will occur - we need to watch out that double billing does not occur.

Elana Broitman
Register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018