[registrars] icann budget position (ascio)

Bhavin Turakhia bhavin.t at directi.com
Thu May 20 21:13:22 UTC 2004

Hi

> the registration business at all. They will became accredited
> and display "the seal", but actually never become operational.
> If there is a cost incurred by ICANN to maintain this
> accreditations I do not think it is fair to ask me to pay for them.

I agree with what you say. However the truth is that ICANN does not really
have to bear a huge cost in maintaining THOSE Accreditations who are simply
in it for the batch pool. From what I see, all these guys have ZERO domains,
ZERO complaints, and they NEVER call or contact icann or utilise any of
ICANNs staff resources for any doubt, query etc. in essence those registrars
who simply use the batch pool are actually NO COST to ICANN. They are silent
spectators and ICANN is actually making the $5k per year off them for really
no cost.

What I do not wish to see JP is ICANN basing its budget structure on short
term revenue opportunities of a certain set of Registrars. This is a trend
which seems to me to be very scary, and a precedent here could be really bad
for Registrars

Additionally there are many other reasons as to why the current budget is
not the best for ICANN as well as the Registrars, but I have already covered
that

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, CEO and Chairman