[registrars] thoughts for conference today

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Tue May 25 22:12:20 UTC 2004

Two things I would like everyone to
consider for the meeting today:

1) It is possible that ICANN is employing
a common variation of the "contrast principle".
What they are possibly doing is asking for much more money than they would
expect to get (or need), with the hopes that we are pleasantly
surprised to find that we are only going to have
our fees DOUBLE in the end (and we end up thanking them).

After all, if they started by saying our fees were
going to DOUBLE I'm sure we wouldn't sit still
for that either.
The ambiguous "reduction of up to 2/3 of the fee" seems
to point in this direction. All registrars are created equal
but some registrars are less equal than others.

2) Self Policing. We should be exploring ways to lessen the administrative
burden that ICANN has by assuming as many
(or all) of the enforcement issues as a group, so that ICANN
doesn't have to increase fees to do the same thing
that we can probably do for less money.
I think that an organization setup and funded by
registrars can take care of the issues for 25% of what
it would cost for ICANN to do the same. I would be willing
to support such an organization.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com