[registrars] It's up to DOC and "burden"

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Wed May 26 17:40:50 UTC 2004

Kurt made the point, both in the teleconference
and in the interview see:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040519/20/p29a.html

"We signed a new memorandum of understanding with the Department of
Commerce that clearly lays out due dates for what ICANN needs to do in
the next three years to become independent of the DoC," he said. "Each
of these tasks is substantial."

I'm wondering if the DOC understood what these
"due dates" were going to require ICANN to do to registrars.
And of course registrars, like with all that happens
here, at least small ones, are never consulted.
It seems that whatever promises ICANN made way back when, were
not able to be kept up with with the structure that they setup
and the budget that they had.

It seems that we should be drafting a letter to DOC to see
if we can get some relief of these requirements that ICANN
has with the MOU, or to go through other channels. DOC MOU
is the reason ICANN is doing this.

>From the same article:

"NSI's CEO Champ Mitchell told ComputerWire the fees will increase costs
andplace an unreasonable burden on smaller registrants. He said: "We do
not support it and we will oppose it. That's our position and the
position of a lot of other  registrars."

"unreasonable burden on smaller registrants"? The small per
domain fees that we are talking about are apparently
a burden on registrants (and a tax). (Next time there is a
rape or a fire, yell "tax increase" if you want to get people s
attention.)

It seems that NSI would be most likely to be able to, at the
prices that they charge, absorb the cost. So what this is really
about is trying to get a fee system in place that gets rid of as
many small registrars as possible. This also creates a problem
with NSI's "100 year registrations" introducing an uncertainty
that they had not considered.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com