[registrars] 66% needed for approval

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Fri May 28 16:29:15 UTC 2004

Rick,

I realize the perception is different. For our part, we have no interest in
harming smaller registrars. We seem to be competing very well without any
such underhandedness. And there was never any hint of that concept in any
discussion I was a part of. I see no benefit to ICANN to pursue such an idea
either.

As I said, I agree that the outreach and the process overall could still be
improved. But I also believe in giving credit where credit is due, and this
year the ICANN staff made considerable efforts to do better with this
process.

And the process is not over yet. Kurt seems very interested in the concerns
expressed and willing to entertain further suggestions and advice. We should
give him and the rest of the staff the benefit of the doubt and concentrate
on reasonable alternatives that we can all live with. But if we take steps
that completely cut ourselves out of the process, we only have ourselves to
blame.

Tim