[registrars] Proliferation of registrar locks

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Nov 12 22:31:28 UTC 2004

On 12/11/2004 5:02 PM Nikolaj Nyholm noted that;

| However, as you even seem to claim yourself ("NSI's perverted take on new
| ICANN Transfer Policy":
| http://www.byte.org/blog/_archives/2004/9/10/138240.html), the
| Registrar-Lock is a loophole the size of Texas.

Hrmm...I don't quite see it the same way. The article you quote above
was intended to point out NSI's propaganda more than it was intended to
call "lock" into question. I suppose I see your point, but I guess that
I have more faith in ICANN's capability to determine what "reasonable
opportunity and ability" means. Keep in mind that a large part of the
transfer problem was caused by Verisign's inability and failure to
appropriately enforce the old transfers provisions in the contract. I
believe that ICANN is in a much better position to enforce the new
policies than the registries ever were, and more importantly, I believe
they also have the will.

| CORE, who Paul represents, was one Registrar who at one would only
authorize
| a transfer if accepted by the 'sponsoring' reseller. CORE resellers were
| free to define the format of the authorization from the Registrant and
when
| to honor the authorization request.
| While I trust that CORE won't replicate such practice, how would it
| translate to a Registrar-Lock removal?
|
| While I agree that there are now mechanisms for resolving disputes and
| misuses, I don't believe it will install trust in the system with
| Registrants, in which case we all lose once again.
|
| I do hope (and expect!) that it will be a well debated subject in Cape
Town.
| I'm sure we can all bring the first examples of misuse to the table then.

As I mentioned earlier in this message, it really comes back to
enforcement. I have no reason to believe that ICANN lacks the skills,
resources or will to appropriately implement and enforce this new policy.

If they do fail in this exercise, we will have much bigger problems on
our hands than reclaiming the confidence of our customers.

- --

~                       -rwr

Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
Skydasher: A great way to start your day
My weblog: http://www.byte.org