[registrars] Proliferation of registrar locks

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Mon Nov 15 15:35:26 UTC 2004

Ross, you said:

"...this trend has been driven by misinformation fed to the market by the
few registrars who put protecting their marketshare ahead of the welfare of
their customers. Locking isn't a bad thing - in fact, on the whole, its
probably a good thing. Creating mass hysteria with your customers and the
media isn't good for anyone except the very selfish few operators who are
propagating the myths about this new policy."

Clearly, if a gaining registrar does not do their due diligence in getting
proper authorization fraudulent transfers will occur. We've seen it happen
many times. It is encouraging to now have an improved process to get those
transfers reversed in a somewhat timelier manner. But as a registrant, I
would not be happy about any time at all that my name is no longer in my
control, especially if my livelihood depended on it. This not a concern over
what *might* happen, it is concern over what *does* happen.

Since you say yourself that locking is probably a good thing, why do you
resort to imputing motives and name calling? That isn't going to solve
anything and certainly won't encourage these registrars to come to the table
and seriously discuss future policy changes.

Tim