[registrars] Proliferation of registrar locks

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Mon Nov 15 16:15:44 UTC 2004

On 15/11/2004 10:35 AM Tim Ruiz noted that;

| Clearly, if a gaining registrar does not do their due diligence in getting
| proper authorization fraudulent transfers will occur. We've seen it happen
| many times. It is encouraging to now have an improved process to get those
| transfers reversed in a somewhat timelier manner. But as a registrant, I
| would not be happy about any time at all that my name is no longer in my
| control, especially if my livelihood depended on it. This not a
concern over
| what *might* happen, it is concern over what *does* happen.

Tim - rule breakers will always be rule breakers. My concern is first to
ensure that the vast majority of transfers, those that happen with the
explicit authorization of the registrant, are dealt with in a timely and
efficient manner. My secondary concern is to make it easy to fix the
small minority of cases where rule breakers, bad process or mistakes
cause something to go wrong with the process. Optimizing the process to
manage the minority of cases makes absolutely no sense in my opinion.
Bad facts make bad law.

| Since you say yourself that locking is probably a good thing, why do you
| resort to imputing motives and name calling? That isn't going to solve
| anything and certainly won't encourage these registrars to come to the
table
| and seriously discuss future policy changes.

I'm not calling into question whether or not lock is a good thing - I'm
questioning the very clear actions of those that are deliberately
spreading smoke on this issue. Given the option to take either a) an
appropriately informed marketplace or b) having these registrars at the
table, I'll take a) everytime. Confused customers create support calls
which drives up costs for no good reason.

There will always be a few registrars who seek to gain by gaming the
system and there will always be the rest of us, like you and I, who seek
to compete fairly. Godaddy and Tucows may not completely agree on the
specific mechanics of this policy, but I think we do agree that fair
competition makes for a healthy marketplace.
- --

~                       -rwr

Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
Skydasher: A great way to start your day
My weblog: http://www.byte.org