[registrars] Verisign batch pool advisory

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Wed Oct 6 19:50:45 UTC 2004

Its nearly the same problem, but in this case, instead of the costs (to
pound with say another 100 or whatever connections they give a registrar)
being "very close to absolutely nothing" the costs would still be very low.
The only costs would be the ICANN accreditation fees and an incorporation
fee, which are relatively low, plus these costs GO DOWN with the increasing
number of registrars due to ICANN's budget structure.  Note those "paying
registrars" you speak of who are buying more access are not paying VeriSign
for it. With status-quo, the math works out to a capacity size at over 4,000
registrars (400,000 connections all pounding full-bore) at stead-state.  And
again, we (all the pounding registrars) would not register even one more
name than we did with the system that did not have that huge capacity
investment.