[registrars] ICANN RRA change from Sep 21

Robert F. Connelly BobC at awesome-goo.com
Mon Oct 11 22:53:43 UTC 2004

At 03:01 PM 10/11/04, Jim Archer wrote:
>  ...the effect would seem to be that this  change prevents registrars
> from not deleting domains after their grace period.

Dear Jim:  I believe that it was at the Rome meeting that Dan Halloran
brought that to our attention.

That was why the NSI and Tucows initiatives seemed wrong to me.

>In the past, there was some ambiguity in the term "cancel the
>registration."  For example, I recall that NSI sometimes interpreted this
>to mean that they need not actually delete it.
>
>It seems to me that ICANN is now trying to prevent this, and force domains
>to be deleted.  Still, I wonder if the new language will accomplish that
>goal?  What does everyone else think?

Unless NSI and Tucows can counter the ICANN directive.  I have heard that
NSI and Tucows are trying to make it a provision in their RRA documents.

Cordially, BobC