[registrars] Proposed short term solution to registry contention

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Oct 13 01:53:32 UTC 2004

Hello Eric,

> > (1) Registry implement auction mode for deleted names where
> there is
> > more than one registrar wishing to register the same name
>
> My preference today <registrar hat==on> is for registrars to
> "own" the "deleted front-end". My preference tomorrow
> <registry hat==on> may not be the same. I suspect I'll always
> want vgrs not to implement the auction mode.

Does that mean you would prefer a different entity run the auction
system rather than the registry?

I guess this could be done using a competitive tender process operated
by ICANN to operate the ".com registry auction system" for names about
to be re-released.  Problem is it would take time.

Regards,
Bruce