[registrars] Proposed short term solution to registry contention

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Tue Oct 12 22:09:27 UTC 2004

Howdy Bruce,

> Does that mean you would prefer a different entity run the auction
> system rather than the registry?

Yes. Unless of course I wake up tomorrow running .com.

> I guess this could be done using a competitive tender process operated
> by ICANN to operate the ".com registry auction system" for names about
> to be re-released.  Problem is it would take time.

That's one avenue. Another is to form a coop entity and make accredition
the test for coop membership, and tell ICANN that is where we want the
"deleted front-end" in expiring com/net/org names to reside -- not as a
registry service, but as a registrar cooperative service.

Faster than letting ICANN tender a bid sometime after hell freezes over,
and safer than expanding the definition of registry service, and safer
than letting things continue becoming more and more fragmentary.

Cheers,
Eric