[registrars] knowing when to fold 'em

Elmar Knipp Elmar.Knipp at corenic.org
Tue Oct 19 07:07:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Bhavin Turakhia wrote:

> i believe the $2mn cap is a remnant from the NSI contract - as rob pointed
> out. Since NSI has a fee cap at 2 million it has to be equitably offered to
> any other registrar too.

I remember somethink like this. I looked in the contracts (since 1999) but
could not find this section. Perhaps Dan Halloran can give us advice.

> The 2 mill cap is an old contractual clause. As tim mentioned - it is not
> upon the suggestion of any specific registrar that this cap has been put.
> While I too partly think it is a lil unfair, I do believe it would be
> monumentally difficult to get that changed, and it may not have a
> significant impact upon the registrar community.

This unequal treatment could us, you and every registrar effect very soon!
Think about our pounding problem. If for hammering the registries there
will be a charge in the future, the 2MM cap is a charter to reduce this
cost to zero for the big registrars.

And in principle this is against a fair and equal access to the domain
resources, which was one of the main goals at the creation of ICANN. We
should change this 2MM cap asap.

Regards,
Elmar