[registrars] Concerns about the budget

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Mon Oct 25 13:14:33 UTC 2004

I have some concerns about the budget.

It seems to me that we are spending our nest egg that we have built up over
the last few years.

I would rather see fees to us that cover all new expenses, and leave this
reserve for a rainy day.  You never know when you are going to need it.

As I recall, in our discussions in KL, we agreed to leave it at a higher
value.

For example, we think we are going to spend about $32k.  I think the money
we bring in this year should cover that.  That would be about $500 per
member this year. Given that we all were prepared to pay $750 in the past,
this is actually a reduction.  I would also support keeping it at $750, and
bringing on more staff support.

I believe we are one of the weakest constituencies, and we should be one of
the strongest.  We need to work hard at getting our voices heard, and that
will take some money to do.  We should not be handcuffing our future, just
to get the lowest possible fees this year.

Donna:  Can you work up some numbers on what it would be to not spend our
reserve ?  And, if you can take a crack at what the budget would look like
if we wanted some paid part-time staff support for the constituency.

Thanks.

Rob.