[registrars] Regarding membership list

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Wed Sep 1 02:55:33 UTC 2004

Hello All:

If I may offer a little historical insight in the fee collection aspects of
the registrar constituency for what it is worth.

Prior to ICANN 2.0, each constituency was required to pay ICANN for the
functions associated with the former DNSO (current GNSO). This was
approximately 15,000 a year. The first year of ICANN operations it was
around $5,000 if I recall properly. Prior to the summer of 2001, I was the
only elected official beside the three elected names council
representatives. The fees in the first year were around $250. As the fees
required by ICANN increased the amount of registrar dues increased to around
$750. This was during the term when myself, Tim Denton, Byran Evan and Rick
Wesson served as the ExCom (Summer 2001-2003).

During this period of time the constituency held a number of individuals
meetings (Dulles, Amsterdam and Washington). These meetings on averaged
costed approximately 5,000 per event. However, we were generally able to
subsidize the entire cost of the meeting through sponsorship arrangements
(i.e. they were essentially free).

During the Evolution and Reform process the Ex Com thought it important to
maximize registrar participation so it was decided that ALL ICANN accredited
registrars would be able to participate in the registrar mailing. However,
voting was only reserved to those members that were in a fully paid status.
THis was a nice balance as people after participating on the list tended to
pay, especially if there was a vote on an issue that they flet strongly
about.

After ICANN 2.0 was implement the registrars no longer had to pay ICANN any
fees. At this time we had around 15,000 in the bank. During the last year of
the former ExCom term this was the following practice that Rick and I
followed as Tim and Bryan were in active at this time. Because we had no
need to raise additional funds, all those members that had paid the previous
year's $750 fee were considered in good standing. Any new member joining the
constituency however, had to pay the $750 fee. I believe the constituency
still has around 20,000 in the bank although I will defer to Donna on this
figure. I also got a call from Bryan who still has around $1,000 that needs
to be transferred.

The complexity of having a bank account for this organization is very
complex and outside the scope of this email. For the first several years our
money was deposited in ICANN's bank account and they helped manage it for
us. However, after ICANN 2.0 we were required to get our own bank account.
Since 9/11 opening bank account on behalf of non-incorporated organizations
is a little difficult. Especially since someone's tax id is needed to be
associated with it.

So in a nut shell. The prior practice which I believe has not changed is
that any registrar that paid $750 back in 2002, or has paid $750 since 2002
is considered in good standing according to the rolls of eligible voters as
the constituency has a surplus of funds.

I hope this helps and I apologize if any hing has changed. Rick could you
please verify or correct the practices of the prior ExCom if you could.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage