[registrars] Focussing on the real issues

Jordyn A. Buchanan jbuchanan at register.com
Fri Sep 24 14:56:25 UTC 2004

At the risk of perpetuating a thread that we all agree is off-topic
from a number of very real concerns that the constituency is facing,
let me add my one and only post about the balloting process.

At this point, it seems to me that the ballot is being administered
according to the currently accepted rules of the constituency.  Others
may believe that the ballot should be conducted in another
manner--fortunately, we will shortly have a vote to settle that issue.

Does this mean that we should all be happy with the procedures around
the current election for Chair?  Not really.

The role of the ExCom is to serve the constituency and advance its best
interests.  Obviously, there are a lot of competing business models
represented in the constituency, and as fierce competitors different
people will obviously have different interpretations of what the best
interests of the constituency are.  The rules, bylaws and procedures
that we have adopted are designed to allow the ExCom to resolve some of
those differences and provide effective leadership.  If we have an
agreed upon framework for how we make decisions, then we can stop
talking about how we make decisions and start talking about substance.
If the rules are incomplete or are ignored, then we are left with a lot
of discussion about the rules.

I don't mean to imply that Bob, or anyone else on the ExCom, has
intended to do anything other than serve the constituency to the best
of their abilities.  Indeed, Bob repeatedly changed the balloting
procedure in order to address concerns raised by constituency members.
However, it is very unusual to change the procedure for voting while a
vote is underway.  And, as we can see, as a result we end up with a lot
of discussion about process instead of substance.

I suggest that the ExCom declare the current ballot void due to error
and issue a new one on the same question, using the rules currently in
place throughout the election.  We've already had one candidate for
Chair essentially step aside and ask no one to vote for him due to the
irregularities--that's unfortunate, because I think Eric is a worthy
candidate worthy of consideration.  I think the constituency (and the
new Chair) would be much better served by having a clean and undisputed
election.  Presumably, the outcome will be the same, but hopefully the
new Chair will be able to direct the constituency to a substantive
discussion around the important issues that Bhavin has identified
instead of a further digression on policy, procedures, and legitimacy.

Jordyn