[registrars] Comments on WHOIS task force recommendation on Conflicts with Local law

John Berryhill john at johnberryhill.com
Fri Jun 17 15:22:20 UTC 2005

I agree with Tim for the additional reason that the proposal below appears
to engage ICANN general counsel and staff in the business of providing
advice to registrars relative to compliance with their respective national
laws and/or engaging ICANN general counsel in prescribing "ICANN compliance"
in conflict with national authorities.

While any lawyer might enjoy kibitzing on other people's legal problems,
acting on legal guidance from ICANN in the absence of ICANN's acceptance of
malpractice liability and indemnification, seems a bit much for a registrar
to assume.  ICANN's general counsel is, in fact, prohibited by the law of
the State of California from rendering legal advice without exposure to
unlimited personal liability.  If ICANN's counsel desires to opine on the
laws of several nations, then I would admire the fortitude required to seek
admission to practice in those jurisdictions.

Tim is absolutely correct there is a larger principle at work than simply
the WHOIS issue.

It is entirely conceivable that a national law could be so opposed to an
ICANN accreditation provision that it turns out that a registrar cannot
operate in that country and be ICANN compliant.  For example, there are
countries in which business entities cannot legally pay their obligations to
ICANN - e.g. Cuba.  As attractive a notion it may be to send ICANN staff to
North Korea to work out a compromise position on WHOIS or other issues, I am
fond of certain members of that staff and would like to see them return.

There seems to be a line of reasoning in this discussion which has not been
made explicit.  A contract obligation to "abide by applicable laws and
governmental regulations" is not normally understood to excise any other
contract provision that may by its own terms conflict with such applicable
law.  It does, however, render the relevant party incapable of performing.
Hence, it may well be that there are national laws so repugnant to ICANN
contract requirements as to simply make it impossible to accredit or operate
a registrar in the relevant nations. Morphing a "uniform" contract to have
non-uniform requirements depending on a contracting party's location merely
creates a haven or race-to-the-bottom effect.

So, if a law in Whereisastan renders Whereisastanis from operating as duly
ICANN accredited registrars, then that is a problem between the affected
Whereisastanis and their government - it is not ICANN's problem, nor is it
the problem of compliant registrars outside of Whereisastan.

John Berryhill