[registrars] domainsbyproxy.com

Marcus Faure faure at globvill.de
Tue Sep 20 14:31:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

a customer pointed us to a domain name that he wished to register, but is
already registered by

Registrant:
   Domains by Proxy, Inc.
   DomainsByProxy.com
   15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
   Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
   United States

via godaddy. Looking at the DomainsByProxy.com site, I discovered that they
offer a kind of anonymizer for registrations.

Questions:
- Do you think that is a legal service? My reading of the whois guidelines
  makes me believe that the real owner has to appear in the whois. I also
  thought that US law says something similar
- As our customer's company name matches the domain name in question, he is
  willing to challange the registration. Would he challange DomainsByProxy
  or are they allowed to come up with the real registrant? They say they will
  in case of dispute, but does that matter?

Yours,
Marcus