[registrars] Re: [gnso-dow123] ICANN staff message to registrars about accuracy of registrant data

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Fri Apr 7 19:57:28 UTC 2006

I shudder to point this out given sensitive nature of the specific the
domain involved, but I think your example concerning the "Crisis Center"
domain is incorrect.

I believe it was in no way due to "poor registrar practices".  If I
recall, PIR said that the Registrant had knowingly and willingly decided
not to renew that domain, as it was not their primary domain.  They were
upset after voluntarily choosing to delete it, when someone else
registered the same domain name.

I do not believe this would be considered "poor registrar practices",
although this example certainly is getting attention as if it was.  In
fact, it is probably an example of just the opposite:  namely a
registrar working with their Registrant to ensure they knew the domain
was up for renewal, so they could make the choice not to renew it,
rather than it deleting without any forethought.

Rob