[registrars] Re: [gnso-dow123] ICANN staff message to registrars about accuracy of registrant data

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Apr 7 20:05:52 UTC 2006

Rob Hall wrote:
> I shudder to point this out given sensitive nature of the specific the
> domain involved, but I think your example concerning the "Crisis Center"
> domain is incorrect.
>
> I believe it was in no way due to "poor registrar practices".  If I
> recall, PIR said that the Registrant had knowingly and willingly decided
> not to renew that domain, as it was not their primary domain.  They were
> upset after voluntarily choosing to delete it, when someone else
> registered the same domain name.
>
> I do not believe this would be considered "poor registrar practices",
> although this example certainly is getting attention as if it was.  In
> fact, it is probably an example of just the opposite:  namely a
> registrar working with their Registrant to ensure they knew the domain
> was up for renewal, so they could make the choice not to renew it,
> rather than it deleting without any forethought.

Yes - this is exactly the point I was trying to make Rob. These issues
are being laid at our feet as examples of poor registrar practices, when
in fact, registrars actually have a pretty decent record of doing the
right thing. The wording in my original response to Tim was somewhat
confusing in this regard but simply meant to point out three instances
where "bad registrar practices" were cited (i.e. each of registrants
losing domains that they wished to keep, an expired name that was
purchased by someone else after it had lapsed, and Twomey's statements
in the WSJ were discussed as examples in the various forums I
participated in during the recent meeting.)
--

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:
Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation