[registrars] Ragistrar Statement friendly amendment

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Apr 18 13:10:42 UTC 2006

Speaking as a task force representative, The consensus position in
Wellington is reflected in the document. CORE has had the position you
decscribe below all along, but does not seem to be supported by a broad
range of constituency members. Given that the comment period on this
document has closed, it would be preferable to simply proceed with a
vote and see where the actual support for the entire document lies. If
the document does not have the support of a majority of voters, then we
will need to re-word in order to accommodate whatever compromise needs
to be made.

Speaking as a Tucows representative, I don't believe that your position
holds water. sTLDs (presuming they are an appropriate arrangement to
begin with) do not need any policy making power outside of their
capability to create, implement, manage and adjust their charter.
Registration qualification practices (i.e. you must be a lawyer to
register in this TLD) are not policy matters. Policy matter include
"what provisioning protocol does this registry use", "what sunrise
mechanism will this registry use", "what transfer policy should this
registry use" - all such matters should be determined with ICANN and
implemented as a standard across all registries who choose to allow
transfers, automated provisioning and sunrise periods. A more
prescriptive ICANN might actually implement policy that actually takes
those choices away from a registry (i.e. no transfers allowed, sunrise
is mandatory and all provisioning must be done via fax). Whether or not
these are appropriate choices to be making, it is clear that it is
ICANN's responsibility, and not the registries, to implement these policies.

I personally would not vote in favor of a document that recommends that
the registries get more policy making power (on the basis that whatever
power they gain, has to come from somewhere - in this case, from ICANN
where registrars have a strong voice).