[registrars] [Fwd: Groups - boardrm - New ballot "Amendment to Motion on GNSO task force on contract issues for existing gTLD registries."]

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Apr 27 16:17:18 UTC 2006

Werner - this is neither an accident of history, nor an over-reaction to
the Verisign settlement. Since day one, ICANN has been evolving towards
a model where the participants of the GNSO (most notably, the
participants of this constituency) have less influence over registry
policy and the ICANN staff and registry operator have more. Your
amendment will only accelerate this tendency - the registrar
constituency should be seeking to reverse it.

Might I also point out for the benefit of the other members of this
constituency that CORE's interests as a registrar *are* an accident of
history. CORE was initially formed as a registry operator for new TLDs
in the late 90's. Politics and misfortune frustrated their attempts in
this area and CORE instead settled on becoming an ICANN accredited
registrar. This does not mean that they have abandoned their registry
operations interests. I will refrain from suggesting that there is an
inherent conflict of interest in CORE's position, but would recommend
that CORE pursue these issues within the registry constituency instead
of clouding our agenda.

Werner Staub (CORE) wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> The reason you suggest for its rejection is beside the point. But
> it shows the nature of the misunderstanding we are dealing with.
>
> If private negotiations between registry and ICANN are the issue,
> then you should propose language to address *that* issue. For
> instance, you might call for a TLD contract negotiation/review
> task force, which would also include people other than ICANN
> staff.
>
> But there is no reason to rule out delegation of policy-making
> authority. On the contrary, delegation of policy-making authority
> is, and should be, the very principle of domain names.
>
> In other words, it is reasonable to apply a filter at the stage
> where delegation of policy-making authority is put into effect
> for a given TLD and for a given policy concern. But the purpose
> of that filter is to enable the delegation and not to prevent it.
>
> Our constituency's current overreaction towards centralization of
> policy-making in the hands of the GNSO is an accident of history.
> I encourage all constituency members not to act in the state of
> emotion caused by the Verisign settlement. Everybody knows that
> the GNSO cannot and should not micromanage individual TLD
> policy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Werner
>

> P.S. Very large companies with plenty of lobbying resources will
> of course be utterly delighted to see some constituencies' push
> towards GNSO absolutism.
>

> Ross Rader wrote:
>>> The text of this ballot is as follows:
>>> ---
>>> "Amendment to Motion on GNSO task force on contract issues for
>>> existing gTLD registries."
>>> I suggest to alter 2b. While this may be appropriate for gTLDs,
>>> it is not for sTLDs. sTLDs operate in a defined environment with
>>> special needs, the GNSO has only limited insight. The delegation of
>>> "certain" policy making decisions is appropriate  - and necessary
>>> unless you want the sTLD to stall -  provided the policy
>>> range is well-defined. The problem is to find a definition of the term
>>> "certain".
>>

>> Speaking in my personal capacity, I urge the members of the
>> constituency to defeat this amendment on the basis that it puts too
>> much control in the hands of the sponsor and registry operator at the
>> expense of registrars. The registrar voice in the policy process will
>> continue to be diminished if we do not keep proper policy making
>> responsibilities within ICANN's GNSO.
>>
>> By moving more policy making responsibilities to the registries, we
>> will continue to see private negotiations between ICANN staff and the
>> registries set the policy that we are forced to work with.
>>
>> -r

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:

Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation