[registrars] [Fwd: Groups - boardrm - New ballot "Amendment to Motion on GNSO task force on contract issues for existing gTLD registries."]

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Apr 27 14:35:50 UTC 2006

> The text of this ballot is as follows:
> ---
> "Amendment to Motion on GNSO task force on contract issues for existing gTLD registries."
> I suggest to alter 2b. While this may be appropriate for gTLDs,
> it is not for sTLDs. sTLDs operate in a defined environment with
> special needs, the GNSO has only limited insight. The delegation of
> "certain" policy making decisions is appropriate  - and necessary
> unless you want the sTLD to stall -  provided the policy
> range is well-defined. The problem is to find a definition of the term
> "certain".

Speaking in my personal capacity, I urge the members of the constituency
to defeat this amendment on the basis that it puts too much control in
the hands of the sponsor and registry operator at the expense of
registrars. The registrar voice in the policy process will continue to
be diminished if we do not keep proper policy making responsibilities
within ICANN's GNSO.

By moving more policy making responsibilities to the registries, we will
continue to see private negotiations between ICANN staff and the
registries set the policy that we are forced to work with.

-r

force on contract issues for existing gTLD registries."
A new ballot has been presented to ICANN Registrars Constituency.  To
vote on this ballot, go here:

http://www.boardrooms.org/apps/org/workgroup/registrars/ballot.php?id=135

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email; instead, vote using the above link.

The text of this ballot is as follows:
---
"Amendment to Motion on GNSO task force on contract issues for existing
gTLD registries."
I suggest to alter 2b. While this may be appropriate for gTLDs,
it is not for sTLDs. sTLDs operate in a defined environment with
special needs, the GNSO has only limited insight. The delegation of
"certain" policy making decisions is appropriate  - and necessary
unless you want the sTLD to stall -  provided the policy
range is well-defined. The problem is to find a definition of the term
"certain".

- Yes
- No
- Abstain
- Other

---

The ballot closes Thursday, 4 May 2006 @ 12:00 pm PT.  Please vote
before then by visiting:

http://www.boardrooms.org/apps/org/workgroup/registrars/ballot.php?id=135

Thank you,
Boardrooms Administration

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:

Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation