[registrars] Follow up statement from Philip Sheppard

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jun 7 09:44:07 UTC 2006

________________________________

From: Philip Sheppard [mailto:philip.sheppard at aim.be]
Sent: Tuesday, 6 June 2006 7:25 PM
Subject: GNSO Board Election

 I n the week that the voting starts I just wanted to make contact with
your constituency again and hope that I will get your support.
I have a good resonance from across the constituencies and the nom comm
representatives and believe I have a good chance to win this election.
Moreover I have full confidence to be both able to participate in every
issue before the Board and to leverage my existing goodwill and contacts
with the current Board members to be able to work with them
cooperatively and in the best interests of ICANN. My time spent in the
GNSO will provide authority for me to speak on GNSO issues.

As a reminder my key priorities are listed below:
a) Competition. To remind the Board whenever necessary of its
responsibility to increase competition at the registry level.
b) A listening Board. To ensure the Board listens to and understands ALL
the policy before it, not just how policy has been presented to it via
the staff filter.
c) Resources for policy. To fight for the appropriate level of resources
to support the policy development work of all supporting organisations
including the necessary challenges of interaction with other bodies such
as the Government Advisory Committee.
d) Enhancing trust. To ensure Board decision making takes into account
the effect of decisions on public and community trust; including issues
of improving effective compliance.
e) Pending resolutions. To call for a short-term appraisal of GNSO
resolutions sent to the Board that are pending consideration such as the
request for the publication of new registry contracts prior to adoption.
f) Budget balance. To ensure Board decisions on the ICANN budget have
the appropriate balance between financial stability for the ICANN
secretariat and fairness in collection mechanisms.
g) Value for money. To ensure that Board decisions on the ICANN budget
put in place mechanisms to ensure the efficient use of funds, so that
budget increases translate directly into better services and greater
efficacy. In short, to work towards a community perception that ICANN is
delivering value for money.
h) Feedback. To ensure the GNSO gets the best ever feedback about Board
activities, agendas and decisions by both endeavouring personally to do
this in the short-term, and medium term to ensure resources are in place
for this to be standard practice to the benefit of all supporting
organisations and the community. This should include feedback from Board
and President's committees.

Philip