[registrars] ["GNSO task force on contract issues for existing gTLD registries." has closed]

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu May 4 21:40:47 UTC 2006

Thomas Barrett - EnCirca wrote:
> Ross,
>
> This apathy may be signalling the position the constituency should take on
> this PDP.
>
> Sometimes, the right answer is to not participate if the process appears to
> be a sham.
>
> This registry-contract PDP may be moot if ICANN is the sole arbiter in
> deciding when it applies.
>
> It is not clear to me what criteria ICANN staff uses to decide when a
> registry contract change should be a bi-lateral agreement or when it
> requires the involvement of the GNSO.  Maybe this is clear to some of you,
> in which case I would appreciate your insight.
>
> But if this is a shared view, then until this is clarified, this PDP has
> limited value.
>
> This is the Registrar position I would like to see advocated in the task
> force.

With due respect Tom, I think its a bit of a stretch to correlate poor
voter turnout with a specific point of view. Until the constituency has
approved an official position, we have nothing to advocate. I'd also
note that the PDP has nothing to do with the staff involving the GNSO in
negotiating or changing contracts. This PDP is solely concerned with
analysing the existing contracts to determine whether or not new
consensus policy need be developed to provide a better foundation for
these contracts.

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:

Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation