[registrars] Verisign Add Delete abuse

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Fri Sep 22 15:13:36 UTC 2006

I've seen several cases of names that have come out pending
delete get snapped by several different registrars. I've never
seen 8 times but I've seen I think 3 or 4 times. The cases
that I've observed have been for customers that decided to wait
until after redemption and take their chances.

Practically, I don't think it really matters that much if it is snapped
by the same registrar credentials or different registrars when
there are entities that control multiple registrars.

This is a revenue source for Vrsn so why would they enforce
it? (revenue eq interest on registrar's deposit and/or working capital).

Of course, Jay, keep in mind that there are
risks associated with the strategy that Belgium
and others are following.

What would happen if, for example, for some unforseen reason they
lost their connectivity and weren't able to delete the thousands
of names they held? Or some other act of god prevented them
from deleting names? One way to lessen the risk would be to simply
reduce the amount of time held. After all, does it really matter
if the hold time is 1 day or 5 days if you can re-register
as many times as you want? I'd be surprised if you don't see that
start to happen.

I agree that it is a bad practice. If I get some time I might
pitch some contacts on doing a story on this issue again.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com