[registrars] ICANN funding travel for GNSO council reps

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Dec 5 22:16:50 UTC 2007

Adrien,

I'd be happier if the question was about need rather than uniformity. If
geographic (and other) diversity goals are not met because of an
unstated means test -- say the cost of going from a very low cost of
business venue to a very high cost of transit meeting -- hypothetically
from Africa to New Zealand or California, then that is a problem we can
solve.

What we don't want to do is pay adequately compensated lobbyists, most
of whom represent interests adversarial or at best indifferent to, the
interests of registrars, from funds that originate mostly from registrars.

I do take the point that having all GNSO Councillors able to be
physically present at all GNSO Council meetings is better, more robust
in many ways, than a flimsy voice line and perhaps some shared, and
possibly in-sync whiteboards and the file documents for the meeting.

However, I'd prefer to see a means test rather than blanket funding for
everyone everywhere for every fine dinner in any budget year.

Eric