[registrars] Fast Track Motions

Jay Westerdal jwesterdal at nameintel.com
Tue Feb 13 21:35:06 UTC 2007

I am going to publish the motion as it stands and allow for discussion for
14 days then we will vote. Please look for another email going to the voting
list as well, this will reach you before Friday, I am working out the email
broadcast right now for this list. If you do not receive the email on that
list, you are NOT a voting a member and should contact me.

I.                    MOTIONS

While any issue may be discussed for an unlimited amount of time on the
list, in meetings, or by phone, the following is the formal process for
Members to vote on issues, proposals, and positions.

1.      The proponent of a motion shall submit it to the Constituency
mailing list. Such motion generally would include:

a.       a substantive description of a new or changed policy, amendment to
the Registrar Constituency Bylaws, these Rules, or other policy documents;
or

b.      a position of support for or opposition to a report, policy, or any
other matter before the Elected Members of the Constituency.

2.      The motion must have three endorsements in order to proceed to
formal discussion. Solicitation of endorsements in support of the motion may
be secured via the Registrar Constituency mailing list.

3.      The Constituency Secretary will publish the motion and call for
discussion no later than 48 hours after receiving the motion from the
proponent and the three endorsements.

4.      Discussion of the motion will be held open on the Constituency list
for no less than 14 days.  The Chair will moderate the discussion on the
list or at any meeting or call, as applicable.

5.      During such time, amendments may be put forward by electronic
communication to the Secretary. The Secretary will accept and publish any
amendment formally to the Constituency list for the Constituency's
consideration only if such amendment is endorsed by a second Member, and
such endorsement is communicated by electronic communication to the
Secretary and to the Constituency list.

6.      During this period of consideration, the proponent of the motion may
accept one or all of the amendments as friendly, and modify her or his
motion accordingly.  Any friendly amendments will be withdrawn and not
considered separately.

7.      Any Member can call for a vote after the 14-day period
post-publication.

8.      The Secretary will create and publish the ballot.  The ballot will
remain open for inspection and possible amendment or correction for 72 hours
prior to the vote.

9.      The ballot will allow for a vote on each of:

a.       the original motion; and

b.      any unfriendly amendments (as deemed by the proponent).

10.  The Secretary will call the vote no less than 2 days after the end of
the ballot inspection period and keep it open for no less than 7 days, but
no more than 21 days.  In exceptional circumstances as determined by a
majority vote of the Constituency Executive Committee, however, the
Secretary may shorten or extend the period to vote upon proper notice to the
voting members via the constituency mailing list or other similar means.  In
no event will a vote be open less than 3 business days or longer than 30
days.

11.  All Members who are eligible to vote pursuant to Section 4.5.1 of the
Bylaws and are registered to vote prior to the call for the vote are
eligible to cast a ballot.

12.  The motion and any unfriendly amendment will be deemed as adopted by an
affirmative vote of more than 50% of the votes cast.  In case of a tie the
motion or any unfriendly amendment shall be deemed to be defeated.

13.  In case of a motion with multiple choices or options, the choice or
option receiving the greatest number of votes shall be deemed adopted.

14.  Notwithstanding Sections 12 and 13 above, if in any vote fewer than the
larger of (a) 10% of those Members registered to vote or (b) 10 Members
registered to vote actually vote (which total shall include votes cast for
and against the motion, and any abstentions), such vote will be deemed
defeated.  In such cases, upon a majority vote of the Constituency Executive
Committee, a revote on the same ballot shall take place.

15.  For all votes, the results of specific ballots cast by Members shall
not be made visible to other Members until the ballot has completed and the
vote is closed.

  _____