[registrars] Q: are registrars allowed to deny transfers-out

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jan 17 21:20:12 UTC 2007

Hello Mark,

> ...if the domain is in an expired state?
>
> I know we allow it, many others do, but under the new transfer policy
> can a registrar use this as a valid reason to block a transfer out or
> revoke access to the registrar-lock status?

This is a good question.

If you mean, are registrars allowed under the ICANN transfers policy to
deny transfers-out after a name has expired.  Then that is a question
for the ICANN General Council's office.   It would be useful for ICANN
to have an FAQ list for registrar use around the implementation of some
of the policies and registrars agreement terms.

If you mean, "should" registrars be allowed to deny transfers-out.  That
becomes more of a policy discussion.

I am leaning towards thinking that it would be cleaner if transfers were
only allowed for an "active" domain name, and not while a name is
expired.   This mainly comes from some operational experience.  I have
seen many registrants lose their name (ie it gets deleted) while they
work through the current transfers process after expiry.   This
generally results from lack of understanding of the transfer process
etc.

Melbourne IT does currently allow transfers out after expiry by the way.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin