[registrars] Q: are registrars allowed to deny transfers-out

Richard Lau richard at lau.com
Wed Jan 17 22:35:05 UTC 2007

Dan,

If a domain has passed it's expiration, and is then sitting in the
auto-renewal period, the non-payment is for the current registration
period, not for a pending or future registratin period.

Had a nasty discussion with a non-US Registrar and the end user ended up
having to pay an large renewal fee ($35) to get the domains
renewed/unlocked. Then transferred the domains out. Since the
transfer-out occured within the 45 day renewal period, the Registry
refunded the auto-renewal to the Losing Registrar, who refused to credit
the end user back. So the end user paid for a renewal that they didn't
get.

There's an actual post on the ICANN site that talks about this related
issue of customers who pay for a Transfer after having paid for a
renewal during the auto-renewal period only getting 1 year after having
paid for 2.

Richard