[registrars] Proposed 2007-2008 Registrar Constituency Budget

Nevett, Jonathon jnevett at networksolutions.com
Fri Jul 13 14:53:10 UTC 2007

Marcus:

Excellent question.  I support spending more than we take in this fiscal
year for a few reasons.  First, as discussed in San Juan, we are asking
registrars to pay more this year for additional services.  In light of
the proposed dues increase, I think it makes sense to dip into existing
reserves to reduce the burden.  Second, we have a relatively large
reserve fund.  During the ICANN budget process, we argued that ICANN
didn't need a reserve fund that represented 100% of its annual operating
expenses.  While there are obvious distinctions between our situation
and ICANN's situation, it always is good to practice what you preach.
In this budget, we are looking at a reserve fund of less than 40% of our
annual operating expenses.  Third, my hope, as you point out, is that we
will receive financial support from ICANN next year.  I was very happy
to hear Doug Brent state during his public presentation in San Juan that
ICANN will work with us in providing greater financial support to the
constituencies.

Obviously, the biggest expense in this budget is our proposed work with
a part-time professional staff person.  Our plan is to use this person
to make the RC much more effective, pro-active, and efficient.  We need
someone to assist in our ICANN advocacy efforts -- draft position
papers, impact statements, and even public statements.  My hope is that
the position would assist in getting us out in front of issues and more
proactive than we have been with our current group of overburdened
volunteers.  We want to be sure that we are not looking at the
proverbial bus after it has run us over.

We discussed at the RC meeting in San Juan and within the Executive
Committee various dues structures.  The consensus seemed to be that we
would increase dues to $750 (apparently the levels they had been a
number of years ago), but provide the ability for small registrars with
need to seek a reduction to the level of existing dues ($250).

With that said, I move that we accept the budget.  According to Bob (our
honorary parliamentarian), we need three endorsements and then we will
have at least a 30 day period of discussion prior to a vote.

Thanks.

Jon