[registrars] Payments for multi year registrations.

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Fri Jun 1 17:04:40 UTC 2007

Rob Hall wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I think you are way off base here.
>
> Frankly, I don't think any Registrars still pay only a year at a time,
> as there is a negative incentive to do so.  With the Registry prices
> rising each year, a Registrar would be crazy to not pay it all the years
> up front, as their costs are only increasing every year.
>
> That said, although we don't do it, I know some Registrars offer a
> registration period longer than 10 years.  I think that is perfectly
> acceptable for them to do so as a business model.
>
> If a client wants to buy a 100 year Registration, and they enter into a
> contract with a Registrar to do so, I see nothing wrong with that.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "nothing wrong with that".
Personally, from a business standpoint it doesn't make any sense
and that even assumes that "this thing of ours" is around in even,
say, 28 years. Actually, it's a really bad idea (but then so is paying
a certain registrar what is it, $108/year for the right to display ppc
ads with the hope that a name can *legitimately* have enough traffic to
justify that type of, um, gamble.)

Anyway, if we are talking about Network Solutions, (which
was sold to General Atlantic for $800 million according the the WSJ,)
this is what the fine print says if you choose the 100 year option at $999:

"100 Year Domain Service - Network Solutions will register your domain
name for the maximum term available at the underlying domain registry
and then, as long as your domain is registered with us, we'll add
additional years to that registration on an annual basis for a total of
100 years of registration service from the date of your purchase.
Service is non-transferable and non-refundable."

(snip)

"What if I transfer my domain name to another registrar?
     It is important to note that your pre-paid 100 Year Domain Service
is provided exclusively by Network Solutions for you, and will terminate
upon any transfer of your domain name to another registrar, with no
refunds. The number of registration years that transfer to a new
registrar will be the current term of the registration at the time of
transfer, as reflected in WHOIS."

Larry Erlich
http://www.DomainRegistry.com

DomainRegistry.com Inc.